Ideas in Action

August 31, 2017 | Posted by: Cube Team

An open letter in support of marriage equality

Cube Group is committed to delivering public value in the Australian community. At the heart of our work are the public value outcomes of equality and fairness; connectedness and inclusion; health, wellbeing and fulfillment; and, safety and protection.

Consistent with our mission and values, Cube believes that marriage equality will bring us together as equal Australians. The following is an open letter submitted to Marriage Equality Australia which expresses our support for marriage equality.

We, Cube Group write to express our support for Marriage Equality.

We support diversity in the workforce and recognise the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) employees to live and work free of prejudice and discrimination, with all the essential freedoms enjoyed by other employees and the broader community.

The rights and liberties of all individuals are sacrosanct. They are essential in the creation of a healthy, harmonious and open society.

An equitable society, free of discrimination, also allows all employees to function at their best. Australia is a robust democracy, however, we support seeing it treat all its citizens equally.

Legalised discrimination in one area allows discrimination to flourish in all areas.

Australians are increasingly supportive of marriage equality, with a recent Crosby Textor survey showing 72 per cent, believe same sex couples should be allowed to marry. We agree. Of the remaining 28 per cent only 14 per cent strongly opposed the proposition.

Globally, 19 countries have passed laws to allow same sex marriage, including countries that are culturally similar to ours like New Zealand and Great Britain. These countries did so with lower support for marriage equality than Australia is seeing right now. In The United States, 37 states and The District of Columbia have legalised same sex marriage.

In May 2015, the people of Ireland voted in favour of marriage equality, making it the first country in the world to do so. All of Ireland’s 43 constituencies except one voted in favour of the same-sex marriage, with the ‘Yes’ vote reaching 62 per cent in favour.

In June 2017, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favour of legalising same-sex marriage nationwide.

These events will see Australia isolated amongst countries with English as a first language.

Not only is marriage equality the only truly fair option, it is also a sound economic option, given that a happy workforce is a productive one. To remain competitive and to attract top talent globally organisations – and nations – must create a fair and respectful environment for all.

Equality in the workplace works; discrimination does not.

As a business, we are committed to creating a society that is fair, equitable and free of discrimination in all its forms. We support the right for all our employees to have equal opportunities in life. We therefore support marriage equality.

Yours faithfully,

Cube Group

To find out more about how you or your business can support the campaign for marriage equality, visit www.equalitycampaign.org.au/home

Cube supports marriage equality

Leave a comment

Keep me posted

If you would like to read more about Cube Group's thinking on public value, sign up here to receive our latest news.