Each year as March (and B Corp month) ends, we reflect on what it means to be a registered B Corp. Of course, it means celebrating the success and commitment of businesses that believe there is more to success than profit alone. Balancing shareholder and stakeholder success is a goal worth celebrating but we have to be honest: it’s hard work.
As a registered B Corp (in the midst of the recertification process), we can tell you that the certification isn’t given lightly. The standards are high. Really high. And there aren’t any short cuts. We are assessed across five impact areas every three years. “Assessment” includes answering a comprehensive survey and submitting our financials, demographics, remuneration and reward data. Our policies and procedures are independently audited to ensure that we really are living the values we say we have committed to.
The five assessable impact areas touch on every aspect of our business and the communities we serve:
- Workers – fostering financial security, health, wellness & safety, careers, engagement and satisfaction
- Customers – stewardship and serving those in need
- Governance – preserving our mission and embedding accountability and transparency
- Environment – focussing on conservation and sustainability
- Community – economic impact, civic engagement and giving, diversity, equity and inclusion and supply chain management
The assessment is truly all-encompassing. So, why do we subject ourselves to the rigour of the certification process and ensure that every day we are making decisions that align with our commitments as a B Corp? Put simply, because we believe it’s the right thing to do. We know we do good things at Cube Group, and our B Corp certification ensures we continually work toward creating a system that benefits people, communities, and the planet.
We will continue to challenge ourselves to meet these high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency and measure our success on the positive impact we create.
We believe that:
- We must be the change we seek in the world.
- All business ought to be conducted as if people and place matter.
- Businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all, through their products, practices, and profits.
- Achieving the above requires that we act with the understanding that we are dependent upon each other and thus responsible for each other and future generations.
This is why we strive to go beyond, to continually challenge ourselves, and to proudly commit to being a B Corp.